In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Monson Historical Society

Monson Railroad Station and Narrow Gauge train

Contributed by Monson Historical Society
MMN Item 10738 Item Details
Monson Railroad Station and Narrow Gauge train
MMN Item 10738 Zoom

Description

A man in a horse drawn buckboard has dropped freight off on the platform of the Monson Railroad Station while a worker shovels coal. The Monson Railroad was first organized as the Monson Railroad Company in 1882 and made its first run in 1883. In 1908 it was sold to Monson Slate Co. which purchased the station, land and office located on Water Street. The railroad's primary purpose was to carry slate from the quarry to Monson Jct. but untimately it was used for passengers, mail and freight.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.